Monday, August 11, 2008

Forgiveness: Part One

The first topic to be tackled here is forgiveness. There are three basic types of forgiveness, and all shall be addressed in time. The first (and frankly the most important, because without it the others are nigh impossible) is the forgiveness of God.

Now, in order to be forgiven, it’s rather imperative that we know we need forgiving. “I’m not a bad person.” You may be saying. “I haven’t killed anyone. I get good grades in school. I go to church on Christmas and Easter.” Etc, etc. It says in 1 John 1:10, “If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.” Let me put it this way and ask you a few tough questions.

Have you ever lied?
Liar.

Have you ever stolen anything?
Thief.

Have you ever lusted after anyone? Matthew 5:27-28 says “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery. But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
Adulterer.

Ever hated someone? 1 John 3:15 says “Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”
Murderer.

The point is that we all mess up. We all sin, and when we do it hurts the heart of Jesus, and it quite honestly hurts you too. “Well,” you are likely thinking. “That sucks.” Yes. Yes it does.

Perhaps you are on the other end of the spectrum. Maybe you are reading this today and thinking, “Forgiveness? How could God forgive me? I’ve done WAY too much wrong… I can never be good enough for God.” In a sense you are right, because, since God is perfect, you can’t be good enough for Him. Bear with me for a moment while I explain that statement. Romans 3:23 states that “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” None of us are good enough to make it on our own. Not you. Not me. Not my pastor. Not Mother Theresa. No one. ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Here’s the good part... WE DON’T NEED TO BE GOOD ENOUGH. That’s a very good thing, because we would never be able to do it. When Jesus came he took all our sins onto Himself. Pause and consider the magnitude of that act for a moment. He took all the sins of everyone who had ever been born and ever would be born. The man who had never sinned took on the guilt and shame and death that our sins brought. He took on your sin when you lied to your mom the other day. He took on my sin when I told that dirty joke the other week. He took on Hitler’s sin. He took on Saddam Hussein’s sin. He took the sin of
every person ever, all at one time.

Why did He do that?

The answer is both powerful and simplistic. It was because He loved you then, and He loves you still. Dying with our sin made it possible for us to be reunited with our Father God who loves us so much. It is because of this selfless act that today, right now, no matter who you are or what you have ever done, you can go before God and say, “I'm sorry. Please forgive me!”… and He will. He is waiting with open arms, always calling you to Himself. He wants you to love Him, and to let Him love you. He wants a relationship with you, and quite frankly, that’s all it really comes down to.

Don’t believe me? Then, to quote the guy from Reading Rainbow (anyone else remember that show from when we were little?), don’t take
my word for it!

Nehemiah 9:17 But you are a God of forgiveness, gracious and merciful, slow to become angry, and rich in unfailing love. You did not abandon them.
Acts 10:43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
Ephesians 1:7 He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins.
Colossians 1:13-14 For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, 14 who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

5 comments:

Sara_Star_550 said...

I aggree!!!
It is all true!!!
Love,
Sara N.(^_^)

Anonymous said...

Hey. I'm proud of you for starting this blog! Also, i'm going to try and read the blog whenever there is a new one. Notice the word try. anyway, i think what you are saying is the truth (or god's word i should say), but i really admire what your writing. keep up with this blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I have never thought of it like that. You gave me more insight on forgiveness.

I hope you keep doing these blogs. It is fantastic that you would do this.

One.Last.Thought.Before.I.Go said...

nice nice nice i love it

Anonymous said...

Hannah, wow. God is awesome. thank you for following His leading and doing what He has impressed upon your heart to do! ~~ Katie P.