Many of you will likely have heard me refer to having ‘a relationship with Christ’. I guess I never really explained what in blazes I was talking about though, did I? So, to rectify the unfortunate situation, we’re going to have a little series on relationship.
Today we are going to talk about what a relationship means.
Just what is a relationship, anyway? According to dictionary.com, it is “a connection, association, or involvement.” Anyone fit the description for you? Well, I’d hope so, anyway! If you need your memory jogged, here are a few examples. Your family, for instance? Perhaps your friends? Maybe a significant other crosses your mind at this time. Even authority figures you may not claim a close association with are lumped into this category. If any of you are like me, the different people we have relationships with are all very, VERY different. Can you think of any one common factor between them all? It’s obvious when you think about it… they all know you! Some of them better than others, I’m sure, but the simple fact remains that they all know you. Now stop and think about what it means to really know someone. Referencing my new favorite site again, one definition of ‘know’ is “to be cognizant or aware of”. Now, how many people are ‘aware of’ who you really are?
“Umm, you’re losing it Hannah!” You might be saying. “I believe we just clarified that all these people do know me!” Do they? I’m willing to bet that not one of those people you have a relationship with knows absolutely everything about you. Perhaps your friends know things about you that your parents don’t, and vice versa (yeah, we all have those embarrassing stories mom likes to tell at the most inopportune times). There are likely things that absolutely no one knows about you.
“Well, yeah. No one is totally open to everyone about everything! That would be stupid!” I wholeheartedly agree. I have my little secrets as much as the next person. But why is it that we keep these things hidden? I’m talking now about your thoughts, your hopes, your fears, your longings… those things that don’t come up in general conversations. As a general rule, it’s because we fear the outcome if others found out. Maybe they will laugh at us. Maybe they will use it against us. Maybe they won’t even love us anymore. Maybe it’s just one of those things that is for us only, and simply no one else has any need to know.
Think of any one person on your list of relationships. Can you imagine if they knew everything about you? The thought makes me shudder. I once had my diary stolen and read, and it seems to me that it would be rather like that feeling, but worse. Quite frankly, if everyone knew everything about me, I’m not sure I would have a whole lot of friends.
Now get this. Jesus is God, right? God is omniscient, which means He is all-knowing. He knows everything, that same everything we have been talking about that we keep so close to our hearts. Everything you’ve thought, everything you’ve said, everything you’ve done… everything. Kind of a weird thought, isn’t it? Here’s an even weirder one… despite knowing and being ‘aware of’ all that crap we hide, he still wants to have a relationship with us! Don’t ask me why, because I’m not really sure. I wouldn’t if I were Him. But then, it sure is a good thing I’m not God, isn’t it! Here’s what God has to say about knowing us.
1 Corinthians 1:9- God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.
2 Corinthians 13:14- The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you.
Philippians 2:1-2- If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
1 John 1:3- We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.
Job 29:4-5- Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, when God's intimate friendship blessed my house…
Even with the knowledge of everything we are and have done, God still wants to be in a relationship with us! He loves us so much, and it for that reason that He calls us to come to Him. He wants to take care of us, comfort us when we are hurt, sharpen us, steer us in the way we should go, support us, change us, and spend every day walking with us. I will tell you right now, it’s the best thing you will ever experience. Always easy? No. But worth it anyway!
There may be some of you reading this today that don’t have any sort of real relationship with Jesus. Maybe you don’t even know how to get one. It’s simple in concept, really. Know that Jesus is Lord and that He died and came back to life for your sins, put Him in charge of your life and be ready to love Him! All you have to do is ask Him. You don’t have to clean yourself up first, and you don’t have to say any special combination of words to make it work. If some of you are still feeling a little overwhelmed about the whole thing, here’s a guideline. Again, it’s not so much what you say as where your heart is.
"Jesus, I know I’ve messed up. I know that I haven’t been in a relationship with You. I’m sorry for what I’ve done. Please forgive me, and take charge of my life! I give everything I am to You. Thank You!"
If you are thinking about getting a relationship with Jesus or if you have already, shoot me an email or a comment and we can talk about it! I’m open to any questions you might have.
These next few weeks we will be talking about the different roles God plays in His relationship with us. For this week, however, I just want you to come away with the fact that Jesus knows us and loves us anyway. Never forget it! xoxoxo
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment